What Lord Buddha preached about the transience of life came true after a few moments!


- Vikha-Vithika-Devesh Mehta

Nalini Dalgatjal Atitaralm

Tadvajjivitmatishayachapalam.

Vidhi Vyadhyabhimahana

The people mourned.

Life is like water on the lotus leaf

Uncertain and short-lived like drops

That is, it is transient. the whole world disease,

Realize that you are haunted by pride and grief.

- Adi Shankaracharyaji, Charpat Panjarika Stotra

We believe that life and death are two extreme opposite ends. But in reality, there is not even an edge between both of them. Sometimes it seems as if both of them are immersed in each other. Saint Tulsidasji says –

Breathe on the breath chant Rama, Vritha breath vote.

Don't let the breath come again.

'I worship Rama with every breath because I don't know if I will be able to take another breath after I have taken one breath?' That is why Saint Kabir says - Do kalke bich kal hai, sake to aaj sambhal. Time comes between yesterday and tomorrow, so if possible, take over today. Hey! Time also comes between the past and the future. It does not seem to come that often! A man is alive a moment before he dies. The game of time is played between two moments. It is said in the Tenth Skandha of Srimad Bhagavata - 'Mrityu Janmavatan Veer Dehen Saha Jayate - O Veer, death is attained by one who takes birth with his body.'

When a rich collector named Vahiya came to Jaitavan to meet Lord Buddha on foot from the region, he learned that Lord Buddha had gone to Jaitavana to receive alms. The monks there begged him to rest for a while and take food but instead of waiting he walked towards Jaitavana to meet Lord Buddha and receive teachings from him. Vahiya reached him and bowed to him and said - I have come from Sukharak to see you. I want to clear three or four theological doubts. Please advise me about it. At first Lord Buddha told him - 'This is not the time for preaching. It is time for alms. In a few minutes I will take the alms and leave for Jaitavan. I will clear your doubts there.'

Hearing the words of Lord Buddha, Vaih spoke up - but Lord, you are the one who says not to praise for religious work. Another hundred hopes of the future ?You may or may not preach and I may or may not come to receive it. Who knows what will happen when? So please preach to me by the time the housewife of this house comes with alms! Solve my doubt! I am ready to acquire knowledge.'

Lord Buddha heard the words of Vahiya and started saying - 'You are absolutely right. There is no hope for the future. Life is also uncertain. Everything in the world is perishable and transient. Always ready to impart and receive knowledge. I am delighted with your curiosity and eagerness. I am now dispelling your doubts and preaching.' Then he preached to him which removed all his doubts. He walked away with a happy mind.

After a few minutes, a bhikkhu came running to Lord Buddha and started saying - 'O Lord, I am overwhelmed. An inquisitive person who just received a sermon from you a few minutes ago was gored to death by a drunken bull on its horns! Hearing that, Lord Buddha spoke - 'Oh, what a sign of ritual! What he said came true. Had I not resolved his doubts, had I not preached to him, he would have died with those doubts in mind, without fulfilling his desire to receive his teachings! His saying that life is fleeting came true for him! His life became an example of that fact!!

Comments